Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Wonton Cheesecake Ravioli

I love dessert.  I love eating it.  I love making it (sometimes).  I love serving it.  I used to bake all the time and that was fun, but it takes sooo much time/energy to bake the cake, make the frosting, let the cake cool, clean up the kitchen, frost the cake blah blah blah.  I kind of got over it and turned my attention to dessert as a whole, instead of just cakes and cupcakes.

Near my job there is an Italian restaurant that has a separate store where they sell their fresh pasta and sawce (no, that wasn't a typo heehee).  I heard from a coworker that they sell dessert ravioli - fresh ravioli, stuffed with cheesecake and topped with chocolate drizzle and strawberries.  Um WHAT?!  This kind of thing has been on my to-do list for a looong time, and I finally got to try it this past weekend.

Instead of buying or making fresh pasta, I used wonton wrappers that you buy in the supermarket.  I love them because they are so versatile and you can really use them for anything.  As another time-saving element I used Jello's No Bake Cheesecake.  Aside from the hour used to allow the cheesecake to set, this is a pretty quick dessert :)



Wonton wrappers come in a pack of about 50, but I only made 15 ravioli.  Based on the leftover cheesecake I would say that one package of wonton wrappers can make 25-30 ravioli, which is what this recipe measures for.

What you will need:
1) 1 box of No Bake Cheesecake (I used Jello brand)
2) 1 package of wonton wrappers
3) 1-2 cups of chocolate chips - melted
4) Granulated sugar for sprinkling
5) Powdered sugar for sprinkling
6) Canola Oil for drizzling

Make the No Bake Cheesecake as per the instructions on the box.  Depending on the brand, it is usually finished in an hour or two.

When the cheesecake is finished, prep the first batch of ravioli.  Line a baking pan with wax paper, and line that with as many wonton wrappers that will fit, giving about an inch between each wrapper.

Place a small dollop of cheesecake in the middle of each wrapper using a small teaspoon.


Fill a bowl with cold water, and use your finger tip to line the edges of each wrapper with water.  This will allow the top wonton layer to stick.


Place another wonton wrapper on top of the cheesecake and gently press the edges of the layers together.

Then, using your fingertips, gently spread the cheesecake mixture so that it evens out within the pocket.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals.  Set aside.


In a small frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil on medium heat and add 3 of the ravioli.  You can add more if the pan size allows, but you don't want to overcrowd the pan.  Sprinkle the top of the ravioli with granulated sugar, and flip when the bottom layer begins to crisp and brown, about 3 minutes.  After flipping, sprinkle the other side with granulated sugar.  When the second side is done, place on a serving dish, drizzle with the melted chocolate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Continue these steps until all of the ravioli are done, and serve immediately.




What I love about these is the crunch of the wonton, followed by the smooth cheesecake and THEN the chocolate and powdered sugar finish.  Oy vey.  Insert lovey dovey emoji faces *here*



Xoxo

Jillian



No comments:

Post a Comment