Thursday, July 9, 2015

Grilled Buff Chicken Pizza

I have been dyyyying to try the whole grilled pizza thing.  I've seen about a million recipes for it, and thankfully Brian was willing to be my test subject this past Tuesday when we had our "I-make-him-dinner-and-he watches-me-clean-up" date night dinner.  The last time he came over for dinner, he showed me how to turn on the grill, so this week he thought it would be perfect to test my grill turning on/not blowing up my house skills.  It went something like this:

*I turn on the gas, then turn the little knobby things.  Brian opens one of the grates and tells me I need to turn on the lighter and STICK MY HAND IN THE GRILL and light the flame*

Me: OMG NO I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T OMG BABE YOU DO IT!  I'M GOING TO DIE! I'M GOING TO BLOW THE HOUSE UP! YOU DO IT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Brian: *Looks at me like I have 12 heads (I guess rightfully so), and lights the grill like a champ.*


He doesn't believe me when I say that that will be HIS job when we grow up ;)


To make Brian a little less afraid (that's how he looked anyway) of the grilled pizza concept, I decided to make his fav: Buffalo Chicken with crumbly Blue Cheese.  Not too crayzay amIright?


Here is what you need:
  • 1 ball of pizza dough at room temperature - I bought fresh dough from the Stop and Shop
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken (about 5 breasts)
  • 1 cup of buffalo sauce, plus a little more for drizzling
  • 1 bag of shredded mozzarella (about 2 cups)
  • 1  to 1 1/2 cups of blue cheese
  • Olive oil
Prep the chicken:

In a nonstick pan, cook the chicken breasts.  Set aside and let cool for a few minutes.  Chop into small strips or cubes and place in a large bowl.  Pour the buffalo sauce over the chicken and stir to combine.

Prep the cheese:

Really nothing here: just add the cheese to their own bowls.  This will make it easier to top the pizza with everything when it's grilling, as it needs to be done A.S.A.P.

Prep the dough:

Roll the dough out as per the instructions on the bag.  Oil a cookie sheet and place the dough on top.  Brush the top of the dough with olive oil.

To grill it:

Before turning the grill on, make sure the olive oil, chicken, buffalo sauce, and cheeses are all within reach of the grill.

Heat up your grill to medium heat.  When it is ready to go, place the dough on the grill, and let cook until golden brown, 5-10 minutes.

Brush the top side of the dough with olive oil, then give it a flip.

Working quickly, top the dough with the mozzarella, chicken, blue cheese, more mozzarella, and a drizzle of buffalo sauce.  This side will also cook in about 5-10 minutes.

When the pizza is finished, slide it from the grill on to the cookie sheet.  I'm not going to lie, this was kind of difficult - I would make sure you happen to have a huge spatula lying around ;)

Slice and enjoyyyyyy!!

Just one note; next time I plan on cutting the dough in half and making 2 smaller pizzas.  This will make it easier to grill/flip/remove the pizza.







Xoxox

Jillian













No comments:

Post a Comment