Thursday, December 4, 2014

Birthday Dinner for my Boo

So my boo/boyfriend/boyfran/man/dude/honey bunches/pookie pie (Ok I'm done) had his birthday this week, where he turned a whopping 27 #Oldfart.  Since he has Grad School during the week, we decided that I would make him dinner for when he got home and we would go out to dinner this weekend.
I am the first to admit that I loooooooooooove going out to eat because a) I like food b) I like wine and c) I like when other people make me dinner #I'mAJerk.  HOWEVER I do also love making a home cooked meal, so this was a lot of fun to put together.  Boyfriend decided that he wanted shrimp scampi with linguine and garlic mashed potatoes (or po-tah-toes?).  Weird combo, but it's his birthday and he'll eat weird if he wants to.



Before we continue, let me just advise that I sort of used a recipe, and I did the thing that, as a food blogger you probably shouldn't do - I didn't take notes.  Whoops!  And the whole situation was actually kind of a cluster-YouKnowWhat so there's that :)

I started with the shrimp scampi situation.  In my research, I found that there weren't any firm this-is-how-you-make-shrimp-scampi recipes, and there was a lot of variety.  BUT there WERE the following ingredients in almost all of the recipes I found:
  1. Raw Shrimp (duh) - about 1 pound, peeled and deveined
  2. Butter - 1 stick
  3. Olive Oil - 4 tablespoons
  4. Shallots or Onions - I used 1 jumbo shallot (chopped)
  5. Garlic (diced) - 4 cloves (or less, if you don't love garlic, which if you don't.........bye)




Start by melting the stick of butter with the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Once the butter is melted and makes love with the oil, toss in the chopped shallots and the garlic.  When the mixture becomes fragrant and the shallots become translucent, hover over the pan and just sniff all the smells.  Next, add the raw shrimp and cook until pink.  

During this time I was scrambling around the kitchen heating up a pot of water to boil 1/2 of a pound of linguine.  Cook the pasta, drain, and set aside. 



When the shrimp is done, sprinkle some parsley and red pepper flakes into the mixture and serve immediately over the pasta.

For the Garlic Mashed Potatoes you will need:
- 5 Yukon Gold Potatoes (I usually do 2 potatoes per person, but in this case I did one extra because Boyfriend eats a lot)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
-Sprinkling of garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons of butter (2 to start and 2 more to adjust the texture)
-1/4 cup of milk (this is an estimate and based on my eyeballing measurement abilities)

Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes, put them in a medium pot, and add just enough water to cover said potatoes.  Bring the water to a soft boil.  The potatoes will be done when they are soft enough for a fork to go through, but not break them apart.



Drain Le Potatoes in Le Sink (my high school French teacher - if she were reading this- would be shaking her head right now).

Add the crushed and powdered garlic, half of the butter, and just a tad bit of the milk.  Begin to whip the potatoes with a hand mixer, adding the additional butter and milk as you go.

Stuff your face.


The End!


This was our audience while we were eating.  These are 2 of Boyfriend's 3 dogs.  They are so good, but they were burning holes in my plate with their doggie stares :)



Woof!


Have a wonderful weekend!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment