Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Grandma's Sauce

In my opinion, Grandma food is the best food.  I don't care if you are my Grandma, my best friend's Grandma, or my friend's uncle's college roommate's wife's Grandma.  If you are a Grandma, you are an Iron Chef.  One of the key life lessons that I have learned from my Italian paternal grandmother is how to make red sauce.  When we were little and went to visit her, the day would start with her amaze-balls meatballs as a snack once we arrived.  Dinner would then consist of her red sauce, more meatballs, and rigatoni.  Just the memory of it makes me nostalgic and feel all the feelings.




Today's recipe is an adaptation of Grandma's - or G-Ma as I like to call her - sauce.  I call it an adaptation because the way that she taught me was to use sauteed onions and garlic, however just recently she advised that she has one recipe that uses only sauteed onions and a separate recipe that uses sauteed garlic instead of onion.  WTF, mate?  I feel like my whole sauce-making life has been a lie, but I'll save that for the nice lady that lets me lie on her couch and talk about my feelings ;-)



What you will need to serve 8-10 (this is our Christmas batch):
  1. 1 small onion - roughly chopped
  2. 2 large cloves of garlic - crushed
  3. 3 cans of crushed tomatoes - I use the Tuttorosso brand
  4. 1 1/2 tablespoons of Oregano
  5. 1 1/2 tablespoons of Basil
  6. 1 1/2 tablespoons of Parsley
  7. Salt and Pepper


Drizzle olive oil into a large pot and allow to heat for 1 minute.  Once the pot has heated, add the onion with salt and pepper and allow the onion to sweat, about 5-10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add the cans of tomatoes with Oregano,  Basil, Parsley, and more salt and pepper.  Stir to combine, cover the pot, and bring the sauce to a boil.  When the sauce is boiling, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Voila!  You can cook like a Grandma.....sort of.


Happy Holidays everyone!!! Enjoy this time with your family and friends :)


No comments:

Post a Comment