Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Turkey Chicken Tortilla Bowls

I need some sun in my life.  I mean REAL sun.  With 80 degree temps, my embarrassingly pale legs burning basking in the sunlight.  Margies by the pool.  You know the deal.  Instead, we have -80 degree temps, car doors frozen shut, ice, snow, blah blah blah, I'm over it, goodbye.



When I am freezing my balls butt off, I crave Mexican food.  The fresh ingredients, avocados, salsa, and pico de gallo all scream summertiiime.  Oh, and MARGIES BY THE POOL!  I need it now.


This dish was inspired by my need for warmth and my love of Chipotle.  While I do love the Chipolts, it is a little hard on the wallet.  I usually go for one of the burrito bowls with errythang.  Including Guac.  No, it's not ok that it's $325.00 extra but I'll take it anyway :)



What you will need to serve 2:
  • 1 pound of ground chicken
  • 1 pound of ground turkey
  • 1 8 oz. package of taco seasoning sauce (I used Archer Farms Mild Taco Seasoning Sauce)
  • 2 cups of cooked brown rice
  • 2 avocados, scooped and chopped into large chunks
  • 1/2 of a red onion, chopped
  • 1 can of refried beans, cooked as per the package instructions
  • Shredded Cheddar Jack cheese for sprinkling
  • 2  large Tortilla shells for serving (since we're honest with each other, this is purely for beautification purposes)
Combine the ground chicken and turkey in a mixing bowl.  Warm a large frying pan, and add the meat, seasoning with salt and pepper.  Cook through on medium heat, 10-15 minutes.  When the meat is done, drain any excess fat and oil into a bowl and discard.  Turn the heat down to low, and add the taco sauce.  Stir to combine.  Add the cooked rice, a few spoonfuls at a time, and toss to combine.



To serve, place one Tortilla shell in a medium-sized bowl, and spoon in the meat and rice mixture.  Top with the refried beans, avocado, red onion and cheese, and serve.





Margies.  At the table.  Not by the pool.  Because it's winter.  And that would be weird.



Xoxo

Jillian










No comments:

Post a Comment