Monday, January 12, 2015

Chicken Noodle Soup

In case you haven't noticed, it is FRICKIN' FREEZING outside!  Up until the last few days, our winter here on Long Island wasn't too chilly and I was able to get away with wearing a vest and scarf.  No more!  I woke up on Wednesday morning to 8 degree temperatures with a wind chill that made it feel like it was -5 degrees.  Isn't that fun?  I mean, I really shouldn't be complaining seeing how I went to college on a campus that was sitting on Lake Ontario.  That means 35 mile per hour winds on a daily basis in addition to snow from November to May (no joke, the week before graduation, that lake effect loveliness gave us some flurries).  Going to school in Oswego did give me a higher tolerance for the cold, however I have been out of college for more years than I would like to admit and my "Oswego Skin" has since disappeared.

My backyard.  Sunny? Yes.  Warm? Hell no!

Today I have for you my chicken noodle soup.  Broth.  Veggies.  Chicken.  Linguine. Delish.  It warmed me right up and kept me company while I lazed around for the afternoon.

What you will need to serve 5-7:

1) 3 stalks of celery
2) 3 medium-sized carrots
3) 3/4 of a yellow onion
4) Olive oil for drizzling
5) 12 cups of chicken broth
6) 3/4 of a pound of linguine or other noodles
7) 3.5 cups of chopped chicken
8) Salt and pepper for seasoning

3 best friends that anyone could have

Give the celery, carrots and onion a rough chop and set aside.  In a large pot, drizzle the olive oil and allow to heat for 1 minute.  Toss in the celery, carrots and onion and season with salt and pepper.  Cook until the onion are transparent and the carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.

Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

While the stock is coming to a boil, season the chicken with salt and pepper, cook on a frying pan, and set aside.



When the stock comes to a boil, add in the pasta and cook as per the instructions on the box.  When the pasta is finished, add the chicken on top of the soup and combine.



Serve immediately, or let cool, and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.




Soda on the side is optional.


Xoxo Jillian








No comments:

Post a Comment