Monday, January 5, 2015

Zucchini Rafts

Well hello there!!  Happy 2015!!  I hope your holiday season was filled with food, booze, parties, presents, and all that jazz :)  I am not a New Year's Resolution kinda girl but I do make it a point to eat healthier-ish once the New Year begins.  Like anything else, that usually lasts for a week and then it's like "whatever, I'm getting cheese fries".

I have been on a zucchini kick lately and even asked Santa for one of those spiralizer things.  I got one (thanks Cousin!), and on the night I tried to use it we got into a big fight, it bit me, and we are not on speaking terms as of now.  I am giving it a few more days to cool off and then we will try for round 2.  With that said, for dinner the other night, I opted instead, for zucchini rafts.

"Zucchini rafts?!", you ask?

Why yes! Zucchini rafts!  I initially intended to make zucchini boats, however too much scooping and too much time boiling lead to one of those partially deflated rafts that you pull out of the garage during the first warm summer day hoping that it is all good to go but no it's not and this is why we can't have nice things.  Womp.



 


So yes.  Zucchini rafts.  Not boats, but just as tasty.  To serve 1, you will need:

1) 1 small zucchini
2) 1 chicken breast, chopped and cooked
3) 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
4) 1/2 cup of black beans
5) Handful of shredded cheddar cheese, for sprinkling

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise, scoop out the middle just to get rid of the seeds, and set aside.  Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to a boil.  Once the water is at a rolling boil, place the zucchini in and let it boil for 1 minute, just to let it soften.  If you are like me, and let it boil for too long, take the zucchini out and place it in an ice bath to stop the cooking.  Set aside.

Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper and cook on a frying pan.  When finished, set aside.

When the zucchini have cooled, place on a baking dish or cookie sheet, and fill with the chicken, onion, black beans and cheese.  

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  








Here's to a fantastic food, booze and party-filled 2015!

P.S - I can't wait for those cheese fries tomorrow 


Xoxo Jillian 













No comments:

Post a Comment