Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Turkey Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

This weekend I have a Sweet 16 to go to.  I haven't been to a Sweet 16 in a looooooong time.  I wonder how the kids do Sweet 16s these days.  Dancing?  Obvi.  Food?  I don't remember.  Alcohol (for the adults duuhhh)?  I hope so!  I really don't remember ever EATING at a Sweet 16 - is that weird?  I mean if there was food, surely I would remember.  Is there cake?  I would think so!  Why can't I rememberrr?!?  Great now I'm hungry.  Good thing this is a foood blooggg :)



Sunday I did my usual food shop for the week and they had the most beautifulest peppers, and I was all "stuffed peppers please-aaaa".


What you will need to make 2:
  • 2 bell peppers (I used 1 red and 1 green because I am an equal opportunity pepper consumer)
  • 1 cup of cooked quinoa
  • 1 package of ground turkey meat (I used Jennie-O)
  • 3 teaspoons of tomato paste
  • 1 cup - 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth
  • 1 cup of black beans
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • Shredded cheddar jack cheese for sprinkling

Cook the quinoa as per the package instructions, and set aside.

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

In a large frying pan, season the turkey meat with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink.  Add the tomato paste and quinoa, and stir to combine.  Slowly add in the vegetable broth.  Cover the pan and let simmer, allowing the broth to absorb into the mixture, about 10 minutes.  When almost all of the broth has been absorbed, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the beans, scallions, and a handful of the shredded cheese.

Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the cores.  Fill each pepper with the mixture and top with more cheese.  Bake for 5-7 minutes, or longer if you like your peppers a little softer.



Looooooove!  If you have leftover turkey you can use it for tacos...or for spoons ;)



Xoxo


Jillian










No comments:

Post a Comment